Using information collected from eBird and iNaturalist we aim to determine the size of Ontario’s wild turkey population. Last year we received over 6000 observations of wild turkeys from all across the province.
Again this year we are requesting turkey observations from all across Ontario.
If you see a wild turkey anywhere in Ontario between December 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, you can help by reporting your sighting one of three ways:
1) Adding your observation to eBird
2) Uploading a photo of any wild turkey flocks you see to the Ontario Wild Turkey Count project in iNaturalist
3) Submitting your observation using our online form: https://jennbaici.weebly.com/report-a-turkey.html
To add a wild turkey observation to eBird:
Use the mobile app or visit https://ebird.org/canada/submit
Steps to using eBird on your computer:
- Visit https://ebird.org/canada/submit
- Sign in or create an account if you do not already have one. You will not be able to submit observations if you do not have an eBird account.
- Click “Submit” on the top left to get started
- Enter the location and date the flock was observed
- Select the Observation Type – If unsure of your observation type, select “Incidental”
- Entering a time is not necessary for the purposes of this project
- Add the species you observed – in this case, wild turkeys! You can scroll through the species or search for a species name on the right hand side of the page
- Enter the number of turkeys you observed in the box beside the species name
- Click “Submit”!
To add a wild turkey observation to iNaturalist:
- Snap a photo of the turkey flock
- Upload your photo to the Ontario Wild Turkey Count project on iNaturalist by using the mobile app or by visiting https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/ontario-wild-turkey-count
- You will find “Log in or Sign up” in the top right corner of the web page. You will not be able to submit observations if you do not have an iNaturalist account.
- Enter the location and the number of turkeys observed